Digital art and how to convert it into NFT
The non-fungible token (NFT) market has progressed remarkably in recent years. The main reason behind its triumph has been digital art and artists.
Due to the use of tech and new trends in the art industry, a novel way of expressing creativity emerged. It has allowed artists to express themselves freely and provided aesthetes new ways of admiring art pieces.
But what exactly is digital art, and how is it being used as NFTs? Let’s discover how it shaped an entirely new market worth $38.2 billion.
What is digital art?
It is a form of artwork that you create or showcase using different digital tech. It is a broad category that includes a range of artworks like digital drawings, paintings and 2D/3D illustrations, animations, pictures, videos, and even virtual sculptures.
The digital tech used for creating an artwork could be software or hardware. It may include tools like Adobe Photoshop, Procreate, or Illustrator. On the other hand, if you use tablets, phones, laptops, or computers to create an artistic piece, it will also be classified as digital artwork.
It is a vast field that is being used in various domains like:
- Advertising and graphic design.
- Illustration and publishing.
- Video games and animation.
- Film and television.
- Fine art.
- Web designing.
Origins of digital artwork
The term's origin goes back to the early 1980s when the first paint program was invented. It was pioneered by the renowned artist Harold Cohen, the creator of AARON. This was a robot that could create drawings on large paper sheets.
After that, in the 1990s, as technology evolved and allowed us to download images and videos on computers, it made way for photo manipulation. This was the building block for modern filming art. Moreover, it gave artists the creative freedom to experiment with visual and audio content.
In the 2000s, creatives got even more options with the evolution of computers and mobile phones. Different types of devices allowed them to create artwork entirely virtually.
Tools and software also evolved from basic Microsoft Paint programs to highly advanced tools like Adobe Photoshop.
Later, techs like advanced AI models, AR, VR, blockchain, and others helped us make artworks more interactive and realistic. The art pieces we see around us today are mostly digitised because of these wonderful technologies.
Digital art and non-fungible tokens (NFTs)
One of the technologies that has really helped digital art thrive is blockchain. The idea of turning artwork into NFTs has empowered the artists. It allows them to ensure that the ownership of their one-of-a-kind work remains with them. It also helps artists financially by allowing them to sell or rent their work only when and if they want.
Moreover, no one can use an artist’s work without permission if it is an NFT. The reason is that NFTs use blockchain tech, which gives the artwork a unique ID and keeps a record of its ownership. That’s why selling and renting artwork has become relatively easy with the use of blockchain.
How to convert your digital art into NFTs
If you are a creative digital artist looking to turn your art pieces into NFT for selling or showcasing, here's what you need to do.
- Firstly, select a digital artwork file you want to convert into an NFT. It could be an image, audio, or video.
- Then, research the blockchain on which you want to mint the NFT. There are numerous options like Ethereum, Solana, Bitcoin, or Polygon. Each one has different benefits, so choose one according to your requirements.
- Once you have selected a blockchain, choose a crypto wallet to keep your NFTs and crypto.
- After that, select an NFT marketplace where you can sell your art. OpenSea, Rarible, and Magic Eden are the top options, but you should go for one as per the blockchain you chose.
- Then, integrate your cryptocurrency wallet with the marketplace you selected. Ensure that it has crypto so you can pay the gas fee later.
- Once you have connected the wallet, you can upload your file to the marketplace and select Mint.
- After clicking Mint, the platform will charge a gas fee for the transaction. Confirm it, and your artwork will be minted as an NFT.
- Finally, you can put it on sale in the marketplace by setting an appropriate price.
Follow this process and you can easily turn your digital artwork into NFTs.
Digital art is any creative production that you make through the use of technology. In the last two decades, it has evolved tremendously because of the evolution of tech.
However, NFT and blockchain technology have been a complete game-changer for artists and admirers.
Due to the possibility of converting art pieces into NFTs, artists enjoy royalties and complete ownership. It also allows aesthetes to collect their favourite virtual artwork.
Author: Wasay Ali
Wasay Ali is a versatile professional writer with global experience and a background in mechanical engineering and social science. He is adept at crafting news and informational content for the crypto space and has experience writing for other niches. He is a professional SEO content writer who has worked with several digital marketing agencies and clients in the US, UK, Pakistan, and Europe. He is a dedicated volunteer and enjoys reading, writing, poetry, and going to the gym. He is an INFJ-A personality type dedicated to positively impacting the world. Wasay has a passion for writing as it allows him to express his creativity, share his knowledge, and connect with people worldwide.